12:08

1st Completed Commission: Discovery


Discovery
oil on canvas
24'' x 24"

I finished the first painting for the Chicago commission yesterday, and I'm very happy with it. The company is dedicated to promoting childrens' health, and each of these four paintings is to represent a specific theme in the development of a child. The subject of this piece is "discovery". I developed this composition by re-visiting my own childhood. My brother Doug, and I were both fervent naturalists in our youth. My brother especially. Had he followed that route, I think he would have made an extraordinary scientist. I did "encourage" him somewhat. To this day he recounts the story of how I forced him into a closet, and refused to release him until he had named all of the geological epochs. In chronological order. Fossils, sea shells, rocks, fish, insects and reptiles were a big part of our young lives. So, when I pondered on how I would portray discovery, I concluded that my own childhood discovery of the natural world was what I wanted to represent. "Learning" is on the easel now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment