12:26

Free At Last! the Mixer is Complete


Hamilton Beach Mixer
oil on canvas
18'' x 24"

Every once in a while I get into a painting that just doesn't want to cooperate. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often, but this has been one of those paintings. I've been working on it so long now that I don't even "see" it anymore. I can't tell if it works or not. Karen says it's really good. I did the overnight test, where I tell myself to wait until the next morning to make a value judgement. When I saw it in the light of a new day, I was "less" negative about it. I still don't know if I got it with this one. Jeff Stricoff at Stricoff Fine Art, Ltd. was excited to have it, so there's a second positive opinion. I believe I'll just have to get away from it for a while, then after a few days see if it starts to grow on me.

I'm still working out the details with Plus One Gallery in London, but I think I can safely say that I'm in! They have three of my small pieces now, which they tell me they love, but "would really like some larger work". Until we figure out the logistics of our relationship I am going to hold out on sending any new paintings, but I'm confident enough to begin work on a larger painting that will be slated for their gallery. The director and I spoke over the phone last week, and I don't think what we have to deal with could break our new association. They haven't put my name on their website as yet, but I have added them to mine. Couldn't wait to do that.

These next few paintings will probably be larger pieces requiring significantly more time to complete than my earlier work. Because of this I may post more "in progress" images to keep the blog current. I haven't decided on the subject of my next painting as yet, but at this point it looks like it will be a "big" percolator.

Addendum: I've been Tagged!
I got tagged last night by an amazing watercolor artist Pablo Villicana Lara. It's my understanding that I am now required to list 5 little known facts about myself, then "tag" five other artists to do the same. Here are my five:

1. I've begun the learning process of playing, then dropping the following musical instruments in the course of my life: 1. The Accordion 2. The Coronet 3. The Piano 4. The Guitar 5. The Banjo 6. The Clarinet
2. I once produced a short lived movie magazine called Cinemondo. It was the brainchild of our friends Burk Sauls and Kathy Bakken. The production team also included my best friend at the time Michel Valin (now my brother in law), and my wife Karen.
3. I've seen Stanley Kubricks 2001: A Space Odyssey over 60 times.
4. Once a year I allow myself one entire family size bag of Cheetos all for me by myself. (These are always eaten when Karen is not at home, and at a single sitting.
5. This may seem blasphemous to admit on an art blog, but I enjoy woodworking more (much, much more) than painting. Now that I paint full-time I do not have time for it, but retain wonderful memories of building furniture. You can see a few of those pieces here.

Those to be tagged? It's very hard to pick just five. Hopefully these have not yet been tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment